Software for heat transfer and ground heat
EED - Earth Energy Storage
Update Info for EED
· Pipe thermal conductivity can now be larger than 100 W/(m·K), see menu "Borehole and heat exchanger".
· For admins/superusers: It is now possible to silently install, uninstall, activate, and deactivate EED using a command line in a batch-file, see
· Compatibility with Windows 10 "Creators update" added.
· EED v4 now always shows results from first year (0) for monthly simulations (same as in v3). The option “Show results after x years”
· EED v4 now shows output temperatures and heat extraction rates with a precision of three digits. More digits can be chosen
· Fix: EED showed an error message when started on systems with decimal separator "."
· Fix: Graph for fluid temperatures was sometimes not updated when hidden.
· EED now uses threaded parallel SIMD calculations which gives 15-150 times faster simulations.
· EED can also use the GPU (graphics card) that allows for up to 200-300 faster execution.
· Updated approximation for irregular configurations.
For all new features, see Appendix A in update manual for EED v4: http://www.buildingphysics.com/manuals/EED4.pdf
· Hourly fluid temperatures are now written to file ”tfluid.out” when a simulation is made for hourly load values.
· First public release.
· Fix for license activation problems.
· Output temperatures have new format (two decimals instead of three)
Version 3.2 update
For all news about EED v3.2, please see chapter 11 in the manual: EED manual (PDF), revised Feb 19, 2015
- Better adaption to Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- Export to Excel improved.
To upgrade your old license of EED v3.0-v3.16 to v3.2 do as follows: Use the Update function in EED (see above), or download the setup program using your old license link that you got when you ordered EED v3.
Jan 29, 2015: Estonian, Latvian, and Farsi added.
Jan 28, 2014: The output window was empty when ”First month of operation” was 3 for certain German and Turkish users.
- Different fonts used in EED leading to that input data could not fit into boxes for Windows 7.
April 14, 2010: Lithuanian added. EED now available in 24 languages!
Jan 27, 2010: Basque added.
Version 3.15 update
-Fixed error where garbage characters were printed from the design data editor (menu item "File/Print").
Version 3.14 update
· EED now handles unicode characters. Three new languages are added: Chinese (simplified), Russian, and Japanese. EED 3.14 contains translation for 19 languages Note that the new language text files (e.g. for German: Lang_menu_ger.txt, Lang_in_ger.txt, Lang_out_ger.txt) now are saved in UNICODE format. Files used by earlier version of EED (3.00-3.13) were saved in ANSI and cannot be used directly. If you have made any changes to our language files you need to re-open them in e.g. Notepad and save them in UNICODE format.
· Fixed error message "EED is registered but ActiveX does not exists". This alert came in some cases for a user without admin rights running EED under Vista and XP. Administrator can install EED for "Current user" or "All users".
· Output results can now be opened in Excel. This will give easier access to data for mean fluid temperatures, heat extraction rate and monthly energy profile. See menu item "Export to xls-file and open it" in the output result window.
· Temperature charts now uses Fahrenheit when English units is selected.
· Graphics for borehole configurations (added in EED 3.11, see below) with U-shape was drawn incorrectly for N1xN2 where N2>N1.
Version 3.12 update
· Corrected error message that was wrong in version 3.11: "The error message “Warning: Fluid minimum temp. accuracy not met!” was sometimes shown when using F9 (solve mean fluid temp) even though simulation was ok.
Version 3.11 update
· Graphics added for borehole and heat exchanger, see figures below. Shank spacing may graphically be changed for U-pipes.
· Thermal conductivity added for filling material in the case with coaxial heat exchanger.
· Graphics added for borehole configuration, see example picture below with 16 boreholes in an L2-configuration.
· More solutions found for cases with large borehole spacings (>55 m).
· A few corrected error messages.
Version 3.10 update
· Smaller fix if english units is used: Some values shown in output window for Monthly energy profile were not displayed correctly (sum of "factors" and "loads")
· Exporting to xls-file in optimization window: If number of rows was less than 20, an error was shown
Language files complete for English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish (Castilian), Swedish, Turkish
Version 3.09 update
· The flow rate in the borehole was calculated wrong when option "for all boreholes" was used
· Maximum value for series factor now increased from 10 to 99
If series factor is larger than number of boreholes, the flow rate in the borehole Qbh will now be the same as specified flow Q
Version 3.08 update
· Support and language file for Greek added. Language files complete and corrected for English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish (Castilian), Swedish, Turkish, Portuguese, Polish and Dutch
Version 3.07 update
· Error in 3.06 fixed (the curves for peak heat and cool load were mixed with the basic load fluid temperature)
· New files for surface temperature and heat flux (June 16, 2008)
Language files complete for English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish (Castilian), Swedish, Turkish, Portuguese, Polish and Dutch (June 16, 2008)
(Included in updates above)
New files for surface temperature and heat flux are available. Download the zip-file and extract the files to the directory where EED is located (e.g. C:\Program Files\Blocon\EED_3) and replace the old files.
Data for surface temperatures and ground heat flux now cover several locations in AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, ESTONIA, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY (over 60 locations), GREECE, HUNGARY, ICELAND, IRELAND, ITALY, LATVIA, LIECHTENSTEIN, LITHUANIA, LUXEMBOURG, MACEDONIA, NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, ROMANIA, SERBIA, SLOWAKIA, SLOWENIA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TURKEY, and UNITED KINGDOM.
Data are mainly taken from national meteorological services and from different editions of EU geothermal atlas.
(Compare dates for updates above. If date for zip-file is after the update version, please download zip-file below to assess the latest languages.)
The following languages are available in EED 3:
· Hungarian (corrected characters July 3, 2008)
· Spanish (Castilian)
· Turkish (corrected characters July 3, 2008))
· Portuguese (corrected characters July 3, 2008))
· Polish (corrected characters July 3, 2008))
· Dutch (added June 29, 2008)
· Greek (added July 3, 2008)
· Bulgarian (added July 16, 2008)
· Romanian (added August 25, 2008)
· Catalan (added August 25, 2008)
· Czech (added February 26, 2009)
· Russian (added June 8, 2009)
· Chinese (added June 8, 2009)
· Japanese (added June 8, 2009)
· Serbian (Latin+Cyrillic) (added July 17, 2009)
· Hebrew (added Dec 21, 2009)
· Basque (added Jan 27, 2010)
· Lithuanian (added April 14, 2010)
· Vietnamese added (July 27, 2010)
· Finnish added (Aug 16, 2010)
· Slovene added (Oct 28, 2011)
· Arabic added (Sept 17, 2012)
· Slovak added (Oct 24, 2012)
· Korean added (Dec 4, 2012)
· Estonian, Latvian, Farsi added (Jan 29, 2015)
Help needed for translation into other languages
We offer a free license of EED Multi-lingual if you make a valid translation into a new language (add a column in EED_Languages_xls.zip). If you wish to contribute, please contact us first in case of that no other is currently working on it.
At the moment, we need translations made for the following languages:
How to create files for a new language
New language files can easily be created and edited. There are three files for the menu text, the input dialogue text, and the output text:
The "***" should be replaced by the ISO 639-2 Code, see
E.g. the Swedish files are named
Create/Add/Edit languages in menu item Settings/Options, see below.
Write the translation to the left (here in German).